CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Colic - Sept 24th

In the beginning of class, he was doing absolutely amazing. He was really disengaging his hip, following and reading my energy and I could get him to trot a lot quicker and he would slow down along with me very readily. In the circling game I need to make sure he doesn't come into me until I ask him to though.

Then the second half of class he started pinning his ears back and was NOT respecting my space at all. He kept trying to lie down every few minutes, kicking at his stomach and standing in and odd stretched position. Talking to Sylvia and then Brother Twitchell, they thought that he might be coming down with Colic - abdominal pain - which can be deathly for horses if not treated right away. I had to drive the van back to campus so I couldn't stay with to make sure he was alright. Later on I found out that Emily had walked him around (so he wouldn't lay down) for like an hour or more! They gave him some pain medication and then put him back in his pen.

Later that night I had my pole bending class and I went into his pen to check on him and he was standing up which was good and then I went to class. As class was ending and we were cooling our horses down I saw Reed walking to the arena and he had Chester with him. When he got to the arena door Chester almost layed down right there! We all quickly got after him so he wouldn't. I then decided to walk him around well Reed tried calling Dr. Waddoups or Bro. Twitchell. Again though I had to leave with the van so I never knew what happened afterwards. Heidi called me later that night and said they had giving him more pain medication and Reed had put him back in the pen.

All I know was the Chester looked terrible that night! We had to really keep at him to make sure he wouldn't try lying down. That was an extremely nerve racking experience.

1 comments:

Heidi's & Rose's Adventure said...

Hey love this blog, especially that I am mentioned in it. Do you like the blog, you are keeping it very updated.. Love it.