So today was the day that Emily was teaching our class and she was doing Jumping and in an English saddle. I was excited but kind of nervous because I've never ridden English before. I actually to learn how to saddle the English Saddle which was awesome. At first when I was in the saddle it felt awkward. Then the stirrup flap thingy was pinching my knees REALLY badly! It hurt so bad and when I tried trotting it made it worse. Emily did a really good job and had some trotting poles set up and I tried those but again it hurt and she tried helping me figure out a different way to hold my feet and knees so I wouldn't be pinched. Then Russell also was trying to help as well. I was even offered to wear someones chains to help me! Haha then I was turning and completely popped my hip out and basically just collapsed out of the saddle because i couldn't hold it anymore. Some reason though after that my knees stopped being pinched even though my hip was thrown out... it was kind of wierd.
At first I couldn't quite figure out how to two point and I kept trying to ride like I was still in a Western saddle.... and I wasn't. Then Emily described how I wanted to bend my hips back and then forward... or something like that. And then I FINALLY got a hang of it. Once I figured out the correct way to post ... I enjoyed jumping!! I actually really like jumping when in an English saddle it is so much more comfortable and feels more natural that way.
I think that such a eye-opener for me. I never dissed on English riding I just didn't like the "hoity-toity-ness" of it so never really wanted to try it. If others did it... then cool but it wasn't for me. Then when I tried it! I realized how much better it was for me. It was fun after a bumby start of being in pain. But I actually liked jumping in English. I have never been a fan of jumping I just really don't care for it. But i'll jump now in English saddle no doubt!
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Nov 10 - English Riding and Jumping
Posted by Stephanie at 10:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment