So for Open Riding time on this Saturday I wanted to try Barrels with Chester for the first time before I taught it. I quickly realized that he likes to throw his shoulder into the barrel when going into it. After realizing how close he would push into the barrel I made sure to give him a really large pocket while entering a barrel. Sometimes he would go out to wide but he started to get better by the end.
To help him keep his shoulder out of the barrel I focused on putting presssure on his inside shoulder trying to get him to not turn into it. Then I started to just trot around the barrels with him and Realized that I have to rate with him EXTREMELY LATE because of how slow he moves.
He definitely has a lot of work to do with Barrel Racing. But I'm glad I did it with him because I love barrels so much. It's one of my favorite things to do with horses! :) He did better than I expected and I could tell that he was slowly improving and listening to me as well.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Nov 14 - Barrel Practice
Posted by Stephanie at 10:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment