CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nov 16 - Helped Teach Barrels in Basic II Class

Today in Basic Class, Randy had me help teach barrel racing in preparation for teaching the 347 class the next day. At first I was really nervous about having to teach but as I warmed up to it I really started to enjoy it more. I showed everyone the pattern in a large group first and also explained what a pocket is - the distance between your horse and the barrel as you come into the barrel and out of the barrel - and rate - the speed you and your horse are going while rounding the barrel and where you would slow your horse down to get around the barrel - then we split into two groups and I helped with one of the groups. The first few times we just walked around the pattern then we trotted between the barrels and had them walk around the barrels when they reached them. Eventually we brought it up to a lope and a trot around them. I really focused and watched as each person would go around and gave them different tips to help them move around the barrel better. They did really well! It was SOO much fun!!! I LOVED TEACHING!! Everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves and a couple of the kids would ask me clarification about the pocket and the rating.


After a while of having a split group, we put out the full barrel pattern and timed each other on doing the full barrel run. We made sure to remain safe and not let them go all out but stay at a controlled lope. It was such an awesome experience to be able to see how much fun they were all having and their faces light up when they understand something and learn something new. I loved my first taste of helping teach a Basic Class.



Now Chester during it did AMAZING!! He was really responsive and really opened up while coming around the barrel. When we did the full run he didn't do too bad at the lope. I think I do still need to work on him turning that hip out and around the barrel and not cutting into while coming out of it.



0 comments: